9 thoughts on “Cool Cover of the Week

1. Lisa Borgnes Giramonti October 19, 2009 / 6:22 pm

Thomas, I am LOVING your blog! I was born in Brussels and went to Bruges recently, so your recent photos from there have a strong resonance for me.

And “Widow Barnaby” is sooo funny. I am a huge Anthony Trollope fan, and wanted to check out his mother, and all I can say is if the last 300 pages are as great as the first 100, it is definitely going to go on my favorites list. Widow Barnaby is a fabulously funny anti-heroine: smug, arrogant and conceited and her attempts to marry off her niece in high society have me giggling in bed, much to my husband's annoyance.

2. Thomas October 19, 2009 / 6:53 pm

Thanks Lisa. It goes without saying that your blog is a work of art.

It was my first trip to Belgium and I have since discovered all kinds of Belgium-lovers out there. I think I enjoyed Antwerp the most, which is somewhat counter to what most people say. But I am a contrarian at heart.

3. Paperback Reader October 20, 2009 / 6:41 am

What an interesting cover! I love the colour. I really must read Howards End…

4. tuulenhaiven October 20, 2009 / 8:39 am

How indeed could you pass this up?! It's lovely. I too need to get around to reading it…

5. Thomas October 20, 2009 / 10:03 am

As much as I love the cover it doesn't really give you any sense of what's inside. One doesn't think of 60s/70s abstraction when one reads Howards End.

6. StuckInABook October 22, 2009 / 12:57 pm

That is such a beautiful cover! If only I could get on with EMF more… but I haven't read Howards End yet – have a copy now, so it won't be too long.

7. Thomas October 22, 2009 / 4:54 pm

Simon: I guess if Austen isn't my favorite then you are entitled to not worship Forster.

8. claire October 22, 2009 / 9:37 pm

That is definitely a very cool cover. I've only read A Passage to India. Would love to read more EMF.

9. Nan October 23, 2009 / 5:32 pm

I have a copy with that same cover! Only mine says $1.95! The date on the inside is the original pub. date of 1921. Does yours have a blurb in the back about the 'face' – 'Electra linotype?'