6 thoughts on “Maine Books: Illustrated Lovelies

1. ArchitectDesign™ August 15, 2011 / 1:07 pm

I just read 'the last resorts' while at the beach last week, as well as a number of other books, and as an older book it had the most fantastic endpapers, I seriously wanted to frame them. I love the attention to detail and making a book a special experience.

2. winstonsdad August 15, 2011 / 4:57 pm

couple of wonderful old book I love the ilustrations in them thomas ,shame they don't make books like these any more ,all the best stu

3. Karen K. August 15, 2011 / 9:25 pm

Those are gorgeous! I've never heard of Portrait of a Village but I would buy it just for the endpapers. Beautiful!

4. Mystica August 16, 2011 / 3:04 am

So gorgeous. I am sure these kind of books are available here! I have to find the time to dig them out.

5. joan.kyler August 16, 2011 / 8:09 am

Illustrations like these add so much to the reading experience. The ones in the Trollope remind me of Arthur Rackham and N.C. Wyeth and Howard Pyle, all wonderful illustrators and painters. The ones in the second book are so atmospheric. Thy make me want to read that book!

6. Ruthiella August 16, 2011 / 2:02 pm

When ever I purchase or borrow a book by Dickens, I try to get one with the illustrations. To second Joan, I think they do add to the pleasure of reading Dickens; they help set the scene and give me a feel for the time and place. That said, I did not like the illustrations in Susan Hill's The Woman in Black. I found them too whimsical for a ghost story.