(Back in May of 2007 I noticed that a bunch of people in the blogosphere had created lists of 101 things to do in 1001 days. I was intrigued by the notion but felt I needed to change the parameters. So I created my 40 by 40 list. 40 things I wanted to do before I turned 40. Well on August 17th I turn 40, and I need to give $10 to charity for every uncompleted item. So it is time to see how I did.)
6. Write a Blog Tribute to the Womenfolk – COMPLETED
Running Tally: $10.00 to charity.
Many of you may remember my tribute to the world’s greatest all women folk group from the 1960s. The tribute turned out to be wildly successful. Not only did I add some (a little) substance to the very little out there on the Internet about these five fabulous women, but the following also happened as a result of that blog post:
- I spoke with three of the four surviving members over the phone and got to satisfy 20 years of curiosity. Thank you Leni, Lalah, and Babs.
- I got to actually meet Babs Cooper in New York. I don’t know about her, but I had a wonderful time.
- The four surviving members actually got together to catch up with each other. For some it was the first time they had seen each other in 40 years. And the women got some good local press.
- Music writer Tony Sclafani wrote a great piece about my quest in The City Paper, the weekly alternative newspaper here in Washington DC.
- All of the Womenfolks’ recordings are now available on iTunes and other music download sites. A far cry from scarce, scratchy vinyl that the Womenfolk’s fans have had to rely on for 40+ years.
This was a 40 by 40 goal that ended up exceeding all my expectations.